(Photo by Javon Swaby) The allure of online casinos is undeniable – the convenience, variety of games, and potential to win big right from your home. But many players have lingering doubts: With no pit boss watching over the virtual tables, how do you know the games aren’t rigged against you?
While healthy skepticism is wise, the truth is that at properly licensed and regulated online casinos, the games utilize random number generators (RNGs) that ensure fair outcomes. Just like their land-based counterparts, online casinos have a built-in house advantage that ensures profitability over time – but they aren’t specifically rigged against players.
Also known as house edge, the house advantage refers to the statistical edge maintained by the casino in all games offered. It represents the average gross profit the casino can reliably expect to make from bets placed.
House advantage stems from the math behind the games themselves, not any intentional rigging. For example, in blackjack, the house has a built-in edge because the player has to act before the dealer. Other factors like limited deck penetration also tilt the odds in the casino’s favor.
But importantly, while the house maintains an advantage, players can still come out ahead in the short run with smart play and a bit of luck on their side.
While you can’t eliminate the house edge entirely, there are steps players can take to reduce its impact:
- Learn basic strategy – Games like FanDuel’s blackjack and video poker offer the best odds when proper basic strategy is used. Memorizing the optimal plays for every scenario helps cut the house edge dramatically.
- Take advantage of bonuses – Bonuses, free spins, and loyalty programs let you stretch your bankroll further, offsetting the house edge. Just be sure to understand bonus terms and meet wagering requirements.
- Know the odds – Some games and bets are more advantageous than others. Understanding the house edge for each game can help you make informed decisions.
- Set limits – Don’t chase losses. Setting a gambling budget and sticking to it is key to responsible play.
Of all casino games, table games like poker and blackjack tend to arouse the most suspicion around cheating. But when properly regulated, online card games utilize RNG technology to ensure fair shuffles and deals.
Reputable sites like FanDuel’s online casino also take steps to ensure game integrity:
- Table game outcomes are powered by high-quality RNGs that are regularly tested by third parties.
- Decks are shuffled after every hand to prevent card counting.
- Players can view hand histories to confirm game fairness.
- Table maximums prevent excessive wagering.
So, while the house advantage is real, players can enjoy online table games knowing they aren’t purposefully rigged against them. As long as you gamble responsibly, casino games offer a fun, fair way to add excitement to your day.
While the house advantage gives online casinos an inherent edge, taking the time to understand the odds, use proper strategy, and play at reputable, regulated sites can go a long way toward leveling the playing field. With a bit of skill and luck on your side, you certainly can come out a winner. Just remember to gamble responsibly!
Since you’re here …
… we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading Side-Line Magazine than ever but advertising revenues across the media are falling fast. Unlike many news organisations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can - and we refuse to add annoying advertising. So you can see why we need to ask for your help.
Side-Line’s independent journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we want to push the artists we like and who are equally fighting to survive.
If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps fund it, our future would be much more secure. For as little as 5 US$, you can support Side-Line Magazine – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.
The donations are safely powered by Paypal.