(Photo by Yuliya Skya) The Toronto-NYC indie trio ON present their fresh single “Gator”, released via the Toronto-based imprint Indiestructable Records.
“This song was written while the band was on a writing/recording session in Naples, Florida. We stayed in a gated community – meaning pass codes to enter the neighborhood and real “surveillance”. In the community was this pond – with freely roaming alligators. And there we have it – we think we are boundless and free – and yet we have lines and gates to keep us so called “safe”. There is the illusion – masking the element control as “safety”…. While the alligators roam freely. One begs to ask: who of the two “gators” is really free here?” says frontwoman Lucy Di Santo.
ON is a riveting power trio led by Lucy Di Santo (vocals, bass) with Dan Cornelius on drums and Steve Fall on guitars. Their latest music output sees the trio carry on the legacy of the band from which they were formed – 90’s Sire Records band Acid Test. Its members have also been in other popular Toronto bands Danko Jones and Deliuss. Musically the band is paying homage to their post-punk and grunge roots flavoured with some extra influences.
“Gator” follows up the band’s latest single “Make Me”, a song of frustration and wanting to recapture that euphoria.
The band is currently busy recording their next record at BC Studio in Brooklyn with legendary producer Martin Bisi, famed for his work with Sonic Youth, Swans, Brian Eno, John Zorn, Herbie Hancock, Iggy Pop, Helmet, Africa Bambaataa, Dresden Dolls, Unsane, Cop Shoot Cop and many other notable artists.
ON also recently completed an extensive US tour in support of their “ON” album, co-produced by Darius Szczepaniak (Sum 41, Black Crowes, Big Sugar, Bare Naked Ladies, Jann Arden) at Phase One Studios in Toronto.
- Fri 09/15 NYC, NY @Gold Sounds
- Sat 09/16 Flemington, NJ @Flemington DIY
- Tues 09/19 Baltimore, MD @The Crown
- Wed 09/20 Alexandria, VA @Galactic Panther
- Thurs 09/21 Winston-Salem, NC @Monstercade (with The Veldt)
- Fri 09/22 Raleigh, NC @Ruby Deluxe (with The Veldt)
- Sat 09/23 Atlanta, GA – Tiny’s Music (with The Veldt)
- Sun 09/24 Nashville, TN – TBA (with The Veldt)
- Tues 09/26 Cincinnati, OH @Northside Tavern (with The Veldt)
- Wed 09/27 Detroit, MI @Smalls (with The Veldt)
- Thurs 09/28 Toronto, ON – TBA (with The Veldt)
- Wed 10/11 Joiliet, IL @Drunken Donut (with Snailmate)
- Thurs 10/12 Port Huron, MI @Schwonk Stead Sound (with Snailmate)
- Sat 10/14 Peterborough, ON @Historic Red Dog (with Snailmate)
- Sun 10/15 Toronto @Bovine Sex Club (with Snailmate, Second Wife)
- Tues 10 /17 Ithaca, NY @Deep Dive (with Snailmate)
- Thurs 10/19 Kingston, ON @The Toucan (with Snailmate)
- Fri 10/20 Ottawa, ON @Avant-Garde Bar (with Snailmate)
- Sat 10/21 NYC, NY @Bar Frida (with Snailmate)
Since you’re here …
… we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading Side-Line Magazine than ever but advertising revenues across the media are falling fast. Unlike many news organisations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can - and we refuse to add annoying advertising. So you can see why we need to ask for your help.
Side-Line’s independent journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we want to push the artists we like and who are equally fighting to survive.
If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps fund it, our future would be much more secure. For as little as 5 US$, you can support Side-Line Magazine – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.
The donations are safely powered by Paypal.